Hardware Detection
Markus Petz
2006-11-22 13:58:39 UTC
(rant mode to full on)
I'm looking into linux from time to time but I never went far there because
I always get buried in hours of anger while trying to configure or install
things. Now that there is an answer here to the kernel-removal-bug, I
wanted to give it another try.
Guess what, I have problems even at the very beginning. I recently added a
second network card which now serves as the internet connection. Everything
working fine in windows (and if it didn't I would know how to make it
work). No card detected in Demudi, so I'm left with a linux system that is
somewhat useless (I have to restart the machine with windows just to look
for help!).
(rant mode back to normal state)

How do I make it detect the NIC?

And on top of that, my ISP (UPC, Austria) ties the cable modem to a
specific NIC to be attached (so that the dumb will only use the internet
connection with a single machine). So basically, I have to alter the MAC
address of the NIC to make it work (which again is easy with windows if you
are explorative in the dialogues). I managed to do this in linux somehow
(automatically at startup), put some hours of anger into it :-). I think my
current approach is by writing it somewhere into the startup scripts but I
think it's not the best way (do a system upgrade and it's lost). What would
be the best (and proofed to work) way to alter the MAC address?

Thanks for the help
Markus
joseph brower
2006-11-22 16:10:52 UTC
I had a similar situation, but I couldn't get my MAC address changed, so I
just bought a router and changed the mac address on it (make sure that the
router supports it first.) Then I could connect anything behind it and it
worked without needing to config it.

Sam Banks
2006-11-22 20:21:34 UTC
As far as getting that NIC detected, if you could tell us what nic it is
someone will probably be able to help.

Cheers

Sam

On 11/23/06, joseph brower <***@gmail.com> wrote:

> I had a similar situation, but I couldn't get my MAC address changed, so I
> just bought a router and changed the mac address on it (make sure that the
> router supports it first.) Then I could connect anything behind it and it
> worked without needing to config it.
>

> On 11/22/06, Markus Petz <***@chello.at> wrote:
> >
> > (rant mode to full on)
> > I'm looking into linux from time to time but I never went far there
> > because
> > I always get buried in hours of anger while trying to configure or
> > install
> > things. Now that there is an answer here to the kernel-removal-bug, I
> > wanted to give it another try.
> > Guess what, I have problems even at the very beginning. I recently added
> > second network card which now serves as the internet connection.
> > Everything
> > working fine in windows (and if it didn't I would know how to make it
> > work). No card detected in Demudi, so I'm left with a linux system that
> > is
> > somewhat useless (I have to restart the machine with windows just to
> > look
> > for help!).
> > (rant mode back to normal state)
> >
> > How do I make it detect the NIC?
> >
> > And on top of that, my ISP (UPC, Austria) ties the cable modem to a
> > specific NIC to be attached (so that the dumb will only use the internet
> > connection with a single machine). So basically, I have to alter the MAC
> >
> > address of the NIC to make it work (which again is easy with windows if
> > you
> > are explorative in the dialogues). I managed to do this in linux somehow
> > (automatically at startup), put some hours of anger into it :-). I think
> > my
> > current approach is by writing it somewhere into the startup scripts but
> > think it's not the best way (do a system upgrade and it's lost). What
> > would
> > be the best (and proofed to work) way to alter the MAC address?
> >
> > Thanks for the help
> > Markus

'Every actual state is corrupt. Good men must not obey the laws too well.'
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Markus Petz
2006-11-23 18:50:17 UTC
At 22.11.2006 21:21, you wrote:
>As far as getting that NIC detected, if you could tell us what nic it is
>someone will probably be able to help.

You are right in some way, it could be incompatible to linux. But that does
not mean I should have to know it in the first place. Detection means I
plug it in and it detects a new device, then tries to get it to work. In
case it fails it has to tell me the device is unknown/incompatible.
Standard behaviour for at least ten years now. And Debian even does it
right when you first install it. So how to invoke this detection?

If it helps, here is the data:
It's some older 10-base-T NIC I received from a former ISP of mine: 3Com
Etherlink XL PCI (3C900B-TPO). Has a 3Com chip on it. If this one is too
difficult then I may just get me a cheap Realtec card.
Sam Banks
2006-11-23 21:15:30 UTC
If it is detected which, due to the age of the card, it should be. Your
/etc/network/interfaces needs to have a section like this:

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.0.196
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.0.100

OR

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

If you are using static IP addresses you will also need to edit the
/etc/resolv.conf to point at your DNS server

ie.
nameserver 192.168.0.100

If it is not detected then you will need to manually load the modules for
it.

>You are right in some way, it could be incompatible to linux. But that does
>not mean I should have to know it in the first place. Detection means I
>plug it in and it detects a new device, then tries to get it to work. In
>case it fails it has to tell me the device is unknown/incompatible.
>Standard behaviour for at least ten years now. And Debian even does it
>right when you first install it. So how to invoke this detection?

This is the case in operating systems that are designed for people who dont
know how to do things manually, Agnula and Studio64 are stripped down
versions of debian so therefore dont have many of the nice GUI tools that
you seem to be looking for. If you want something that is going to do it all
automatically for you then you need to go to something like Ubuntu but dont
expect the same performance. This is the trade-off. If however you would
like to learn how to get it going then just ask, dont assume that every
version of every operating system is designed to please everyone. One of the
reasons many people use Linux for Audio (and Agnula/Studio64) is because it
doesn't have all the gui tools which rob your system of RAM and CPU power.

Sam

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Markus Petz
2006-11-23 23:47:46 UTC
At 23.11.2006 22:15, you wrote:
>If it is detected which, due to the age of the card, it should be. Your
>/etc/network/interfaces needs to have a section like this:
>
>auto eth0
>iface eth0 inet static
> address <http://192.168.0.196>192.168.0.196
> netmask <http://255.255.255.0>255.255.255.0
> gateway <http://192.168.0.100>192.168.0.100
>
>OR
>
>auto eth0
>iface eth0 inet dhcp

yes i do have this. For the first network card. Do you mean, i only have to
type in a section for eth1 and that should do?

>If it is not detected then you will need to manually load the modules for it.

hm. Not worth the effort. A new card costs less than 10 euros and will work
better.

>This is the case in operating systems that are designed for people who
>dont know how to do things manually, Agnula and Studio64 are stripped down
>versions of debian so therefore dont have many of the nice GUI tools that
>you seem to be looking for.

I am speaking as a linux newbie. Even with Fedora and Knoppix I had the
same problems. My problem is not that i do not have a GUI but that my
computer does not talk human to me. Machines have to adapt to humans, not
the opposite way. Once again, they have to! Example that bugged me, when i
have a piece of software that i first need to compile and which has a
dependency, then the compile process, among many (to me) useless things,
tells me the dependency package is not installed. Then i look for it - and
indeed it IS installed! What the machine should have told me: 'I need to
have the SOURCE CODE of that package installed!'. It didn't and that took
me hours to find out the hard way. - But what it really should do is
automate a process that can be automated. When i want to install this
program and it depends on some other package, then - of course! - it should
download what it needs to fulfill my wish. No need for errors.

> If you want something that is going to do it all automatically for you
> then you need to go to something like Ubuntu but dont expect the same
> performance. This is the trade-off.

Wrong in this case. Hardware detection is a thing that is hardly ever used.
It needn't run all the time. And a GUI doesn't take performance these days
- I have a graphics processor for such a task as displaying 2D dialogues
that guide me to the right place to do things. Remember, these are
configuring tasks i do every now and then and when i do them then i
concentrate on it and hence the machine can concentrate on it. Nobody
installs software during a live music performance. No need for tradeoffs here.

> If however you would like to learn how to get it going then just ask,
> dont assume that every version of every operating system is designed to
> please everyone. One of the reasons many people use Linux for Audio (and
> Agnula/Studio64) is because it doesn't have all the gui tools which rob
> your system of RAM and CPU power.

Honestly, i don't think there is a need for so many versions of basically
the same OS, especially if they work so differently that they become
incompatible to another (take Debian and Redhat software installers for
example). The last time i have seen a GUI rise the CPU counter was back in
the pentium-1 days, without a real graphics processor. Besides, all sound
processing software needs to have visualizing interfaces. I don't think
there is a viable way to have a sequencer with only a text interface.
Things like showing window content while dragging or fading menus should be
made switchable. I turn them off anyway. Linux has the great advantage of
modularity. Turn things on and off as you need, install only those packages
you need. This logically leads to exactly one basic OS which can either be
finished by software as a server or as a music machine or whatever. Or all
at once - storage gets bigger and cheaper every minute, and we'll for sure
have octal-core CPUs in no time. Distributions, join efforts and free some
work now done triple, spare it to bring linux to the world!

I am the user and i actually want to use my hardware. I wanted to start
sound processing and making music with the instrument i thought i can
handle best. At the same time i have the need to go linux. I want to
create, and i am not interested in how the necessary basic software works
in its guts. It only has to work. The machine is my servant and the
software is my interface. Its job is to talk to the machine in machine
language and to talk to me in human language, be it text or visual.
My current approach in music leads me to a situation where i can boot linux
and don't even get to start doing what i want to do, or i boot windows,
install two or three programs that work out of the box and although i never
touched a sequencer or a sampler before, these programs let me explore so i
instantly start to play with the sounds. And i don't have to care for
whatever technical stuff (those GUIs are yet not so easy but there is just
too little space for text beside all those handles - anyway, i like to
explore). Additionally, in win i have all my email, my good opera browser,
my TV card works, the program which lowers CPU power consumption on the
fly, coupled with the program which lowers the CPU fan speed on the fly, so
i have a very quiet machine, of course switchable by two klicks when
instant power needed, a suspend-to-disk feature that lets me after a very
quick boot just continue everything from where i turned the machine off -
and so on. Yes it has its flaws i can do nothing about because it does not
give the opportunity to do it. I read up on how to do all this stuff in
linux and i fear the day when i really start it. And once again, i'm not
unexperienced in computer administration. I would love to have linux
independency but it is really not made for comftably changing-the-fronts, IMO.

ok, this was my manifest. Thank you, dear reader.
-markus
Sam Banks
2006-11-24 00:33:21 UTC
Everyone has their own opinion, such is life.
However there is one thing that I couldn't resist taking a bite at:

>Wrong in this case. Hardware detection is a thing that is hardly ever used.
>It needn't run all the time. And a GUI doesn't take performance these days
>- I have a graphics processor for such a task as displaying 2D dialogues
>that guide me to the right place to do things. Remember, these are
>configuring tasks i do every now and then and when i do them then i
>concentrate on it and hence the machine can concentrate on it. Nobody
>installs software during a live music performance. No need for tradeoffs
here.

This is just dead wrong, you speak with authority on things you appear to
know nothing about.
To use a nice gnome config utility you need all the gnome libraries - These
do slow down your system
To use a nice kde config utility you need the kde libraries - These do slow
down your system.
To use any graphical utility you need the libraries for it which will slow
down your system.
To avoid this you can use command line or curses based utility's which dont,
many prefer to do this, some do not. Hence the need for different versions
of Linux.
You seem to want the advantages of Linux but you dont want to do learn any
Linux ways of doing things.
The answer for you would appear to be OSX

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Markus Petz
2006-11-24 01:31:12 UTC
At 24.11.2006 01:33, you wrote:
>This is just dead wrong, you speak with authority on things you appear to
>know nothing about.

Sorry, i didn't mean to want to provoke a fight here. Maybe your intended
use of Demudi is completely different than mine.

>To use a nice gnome config utility you need all the gnome libraries -
>These do slow down your system
>To use a nice kde config utility you need the kde libraries - These do
>slow down your system.
>To use any graphical utility you need the libraries for it which will slow
>down your system.
>To avoid this you can use command line or curses based utility's which
>dont, many prefer to do this, some do not. Hence the need for different
>versions of Linux.

As i said, the advantage of the linux architecture is its modularity (if i
got it right). Plug in and out additional software as needed. Did you want
to say that most people here are professionals who use Demudi with
command-line only, on machines with limited purpose? If this is the case
then i am in the wrong place here. I need a machine for doing synths as a
hobbyist on some hours, and to watch/record TV at other times (or both at
once for the matter). And i definitely need a GUI. I am aware of the issue
that GUIs can be bloated. But you're right, i am not really an OS expert. I
am now a somewhat oldscool programmer. IMO it should be possible (if it
isn't yet) to only load those libraries you need, and swap out those
no-more-in-use.
But anyway, this is not an issue to me if dualcore CPUs and RAM are
available cheaper every day. My time is worth more than that money.

>You seem to want the advantages of Linux but you dont want to do learn any
>Linux ways of doing things.
>The answer for you would appear to be OSX

Yes when i recapitulate my last paragraphs it seems it directs somewhat
into the future. I honestly think that linux has the opportunity NOW to
direct a new way of using a computer. It will probably eat some power but
as said above, this is not an issue anymore (for me, at least). (btw. i'm
not using a state-of-the-art machine and it works for me, in windows as
well as in Linux.)
Apple is not really the answer for me because it somewhat counteracts my
freedom will. I want to sometimes hack my CPU as well :-).

Peace, please ;-)
Sam Banks
2006-11-24 02:42:33 UTC
Fair enough, also not looking to provoke an argument. Just accidentally get
a little defensive at times:)
It just shows that everyone has a different perspective on what linux should
be for them which is what makes it so hard to make a distro to suit as many
people as possible.
Its nearly beer o'clock here in little old New Zealand so everyone have a
nice weekend.

Peace

Ralph Waldo Emerson
tim hall
2006-11-24 10:46:34 UTC
On Friday 24 November 2006 01:31, Markus Petz was like:
> Did you want
> to say that most people here are professionals who use Demudi with
> command-line only, on machines with limited purpose?

Actually it was always the intention that DeMuDi should be Musician friendly.
In most cases GUI configuration tools are provided and every effort has been
made to get audio to work out of the box. That said, we all know that it is
not always the case due to the differences in hardware and software choices
that users make. This list is here to help people through those initial
difficulties, so please ask away! Most musicians want to get on with making
music, not messing around with their systems, however, the truth is that
there is a learning curve involved and it may take some time to get your
system configured exactly the way you want it.

It does help to learn the GNU/Linux way of doing things, but that doesn't
necessarily mean slavish adherence to the command line. I use it a lot in
certain circumstances, because it's easier, not because it makes me feel more
like a hacker. For some jobs, GUI tools with drag'n'drop functionality are
the way to go. I mostly compose using Rosegarden with qsynth(fluidsynth) or
zynaddsubfx (+Hydrogen for drums) and record using Ardour. I frequently
experiment with other applications, but so far, these are the applications I
keep coming back to.
--
cheers,

tim hall
http://glastonburymusic.org.uk/tim
We are the people We've been waiting for.
Markus Petz
2006-11-23 18:35:57 UTC
At 22.11.2006 17:10, you wrote:
>I had a similar situation, but I couldn't get my MAC address changed, so I
>just bought a router and changed the mac address on it (make sure that the
>router supports it first.) Then I could connect anything behind it and it
>worked without needing to config it.

Ok I looked it up. No need to buy new hardware. If the card supports it you
can use /etc/network/interfaces where the network settings are stored. In
the section of your interface of choice you type in

hwaddress ether xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

(where 'ether' means ethernet and xx... is your needed MAC address). The
syntax is inconsistent with that of ifconfig, where you can use 'ifconfig
eth0 hw ether xx:xx...' to do it manually.
I think this is the most correct approach, at least with Debian (I bet it's
different with other distros).