VST working --no compiling/flailing needed
z***@pcez.com
2006-11-14 20:08:16 UTC
Hi Dave Phillips and CCRMA...had a stroke of good luck, detailed in
a message to a Mepislovers forum, repeated here, by chance to help some
frustrated musician, seeking an easy and current way to use some
VST instruments. Though YMMV, these are cut'n'paste filenames, so only a
little
effort is needed to duplicate this very standard installation! Have Fun!

Musicians...

VST! no compiling/flailing needed!
How?
1. Mepis 3.4 Linux Format DvD standard install
2. wine_0.9.9-0ubuntu2_i386.deb
3. fst_1.9-1_i386.deb
4. jackd_0.101.1-1_i386.deb
5. qjackctl-0.2.21-0.pm.1.i586.rpm
6. a drawer in your home/user directory for your Vst instruments
7. AEffect.h and aeffectx.h (the infamous Steinberg SDK files)
unzip the vst_sdk2_3.zip
find this folder and in its contents,
vstsdk2.3/source/common/aeffectx.h
vstsdk2.3/source/common/AEffect.h
(please note that in later versions, the directories names are changed,
and so modify procedures as needed 8')
...well guess what?
I copied them to All folders in /home/user/.wine, and also in lib,
usr/lib, usr/bin
usr/share, usr/include, local variants of the above, and in those drawers,
any folder
named alsa, sound, audio, jack, etc, also got free copies! Yeah, so I went
a little postal about getting VST, I'm a bit of a nutter, I confess...but
it worked!!! No compiling things with scons and flags and dev packages and
mass confusion only to be crushed like a bug in the end!

Synth1...ran 2 of 'em...loaded banks of presets, Holygrail moment...
Crystal...played its presets, tweaked the knobs, changed the waveforms...
polyiblit...loaded its bonus bank, discovered I really like it...
EffEm...first time with it, love the interface...won't reveal details,
see/hear for yourself...very much a knob twirlers dream...
VibraphoneTS...good good good good-vibrations!
Osiris6...Oberon-8 dark and ominous...can't wait to hit the keys.

Tested some others...some post missing module warnings and start and work
fine...
some others start, but have no volume, don't know why...
All are requested to start lash first by fst, but I didn't bother, to much
fun going on, and I have lash installed if need be.

So spread the info, and may it all work for you in newer Mepis installs
too!
(and maybe in similar distros too, I hope)

PS Dave, read more of your articles...thanx again!