DRM and content protection
Philip Nelson
2006-12-26 03:15:05 UTC
This has hit the news lately, an analysis of "premium content protection" in Windows Vista that some feel may severely impact the peripherals we have available to x86 based computers. The basic idea is that to be hardware compatible with Windows Vista, peripheral and board manufacturers will have to compromise these boards when they are not using premium content. Everything from higher costs to slower computer performance will be the result, and if this is true, degraded audio and video for us linux users.

Any thoughts beyond the obvious MS bashing?

Philip - http://xcskiwinn.org/community/blogs/panmanphil
Marcos Guglielmetti
2006-12-27 16:36:30 UTC
Post by Philip Nelson
This has hit the news lately, an analysis of "premium content protection"
in Windows Vista that some feel may severely impact the peripherals we have
available to x86 based computers. The basic idea is that to be hardware
compatible with Windows Vista, peripheral and board manufacturers will have
to compromise these boards when they are not using premium content.
Everything from higher costs to slower computer performance will be the
result, and if this is true, degraded audio and video for us linux users.
Any thoughts beyond the obvious MS bashing?
No, I cant think in somemething different than make WEB propaganda, etc. We
have something in www.musix.org.ar/en linking to a FSF propaganda against
DRM.
--
Marcos Guglielmetti
* Director del desarrollo de Musix GNU+Linux, 100% Software Libre
https://e.ututo.org.ar/utiles/torrent/MusixGNU-Linux0.59.iso.torrent
Dominique Michel
2006-12-27 23:02:50 UTC